Your are a trail ambassador anytime you are hiking on national forest or
wilderness trails. Members should wear their volunteer t-shirts and, if
you have one, your forest service volunteer Badge.
In an effort to be more supportive of hikers, being an ambassador is encouraged
on weekends and holidays when the hiker numbers are highest. It
offers, to weekend hikers the availability of a knowledgeable, helpful trail
volunteer. Bring along your trail book to answer any questions.
Always hike with a friend.
Being a trail ambassador is one of the easiest ways to meet your volunteer hours quota.
Ambassador Duties include:
Being a cheerful presence on the trail
Answering questions about the trails,
- Sharing information about regulations, since many times that is all that is needed.
Examples are: The Indian Peak's Wilderness leash law or camping 100 ft. from water (40 good strides equals
Approximately 100 ft). Remember we are not law enforcement.
- Reporting back on the trail conditions.
To report trail conditions you will need to use the Headwaters trail alliance volunteer reporting form.
- Fill in your name and personal info.
- Fill date and trail info.
- Check Trail Assestment.
- For Hours Worked on Trail, put the Number of hours that you hiked.
- For Type of Maintenance, select Other and enter Trail Ambassador
- For Number of Trees and Drains cleared enter 0.
- Next is the Trail Assessment, Fill out any thing that needs work.
- You can enter no work needed, if nothing was found.
- Submit the Report.
- Report shortages of sign in sheets in the trailhead boxes to the person responsible for that box. Go to Registration Boxes to find the person(s) responsible.
Click here to order your volunteer badge
Each individual needs to record their time for trail hosting. Hours are sent to the member tallying our volunteer hours for the Forest Service. The Forest Service uses these hours are used in grant applications and reports. Hours for being a trail ambassador are from portal to portal. (when you leave and return to your house or "portal").